Fan since: ♥November 2006
Mood: Lovin' my sweet Bill, more than ever ♥
Music: ♥ Billy's EP
album review
http://www.albumconfessions.com/2017...tel-album.html

Quote:
Dream Machine by Tokio Hotel - Album Review

★ ★ ★ ★ out of 5

Following a brief yet impressive solo run by lead vocalist Bill Kaulitz last year and the 2014 release of superb Kings of Suburbia ("Love Who Loves You Back", "Feel It All"), German alternative rock band Tokio Hotel have finally unleashed their anticipated fourth English-language album Dream Machine to the masses. Totted as the album the four best friends have always wanted to record, the new release is sonically inspired by its predecessor, latching on to a stronger 90s electronica vibe a la Daft Punk.

Preceded by the reflective "Something New" and 80s disco anthem "What If", the new album steers clear of overly sexual innuendos and messages, trading them in for a complete analysis of every kind of relationship the band members experienced during the recording process. Relationship shake up, career moves and even the political atmosphere had some influence, all supported by a full-fledged synth-pop sound that the boys have always toyed with, now tackle as an artistic priority.

A glorious showcase for his lush, soothing vocal talents, “Something New” is an appropriate, euphoric opener for the band’s fourth studio album. Lost and seemingly without purpose following an alluded relationship heartbreak, Kaulitz is left to roam and wonder what’s next. Supported by those aforementioned Daft Punk-inspired backing beats, the finished product becomes a statement for the never-ending search for adventure and restarting one’s life.

Dealing with impeding darkness and loneliness, Kaulitz continues his search for a new beginning on the dark and moody “Boy Don’t Cry”. Approached and consoled by a female named desire, the lead singer discovers a recharge thrill for life. “Oh lonely girl don't let go, hold on, for another adventure, stay with me, now put your hands in my pocket, while we're dancing through cold Berlin,” he sings while supported by a slinky, 80s-influenced techno beat.

Kaulitz has never been shy about expressing his vulnerability, to wear his heart on his sleeve. He does just that on album highlight “Easy”, a mid-tempo ballad effort where he faces the increasing difficulty of making a love work, ultimately forced to handle its end. From the worry-free early days of smoking weed in one’s car to now looking ahead to a life without his significant other, the song serves as a plea to end suffering and circle back to a happier time together.

The band details the early emotions of a blossoming relationship on “What If”, assuring the eye of their affection they would never be alone again. Kaulitz appears adamant and ready to start a new romantic adventure, eager to get to know more about his future significant other, hoping they would let go and take a chance on love in return. The endearing sentiment is paired with infectious dance-worthy beats that continue to push the band further past their hard rock roots.

“Elysa” contains an effective, heart wrenching chorus where Kaulitz admits to the anger of writing the song for a certain former flame, but in the end, the overly produced vocals and slightly offbeat production leaves a sour taste in one’s mouth. “I should've never told you, you were the only one, I should've never told you, you're the reason for this song,” the lead singer belts on the overly dramatic break up anthem.

Once again, the slow deterioration of a relationship is at the center of the slightly more upbeat album title track. “Dream Machine” seemingly calls on the broken-hearted and down-trotted to forget the pain and get lost in a tranquil state of mind. The somber subject matter paired with electronica production creates an enticing mix of emotions that ultimately aims to heal. In most instances, title tracks are usually filler, Tokio Hotel has broken that notion here.

Perhaps in a very subtle approach, Kaulitz may have finally referenced his self-proclaimed bisexuality on the electro-charged “Cotton Candy Sky”, where the artist’s own racing thoughts have left him restless and nervous. “Oh, I'm young like you, boy I'm anxious and my fears are in control now, I suck at life, I'm chasing alone, a world that's slowly running out of love, boy,” he sings somewhat defeated as he struggles with ideas of acceptance and reality.

Though extremely limited in terms of context and songwriting ability, the same word is repeated for most of the track’s running time, “Better” does successfully channel the complex emotions that come with running into a former lover. Kaulitz appreciates the rekindling efforts, the sweet memories that have rushed back into his mind, but the hate ultimately takes over, realizing he is better off without them in his life. Short and simple, more narrative would have made for an even stronger impact.

“As Young As We Are” finds Kaulitz ready to give love another chance, after experiencing numerous heartaches in the past. Again, kept to the bare minimum in terms of songwriting, the vocalist does successfully highlight the fear and hesitancy that comes with starting a new romantic chapter. Even though there’s a hint of optimism in the words, the surrounding production creates a more serious mood filled with caution and uncertainty.

The album closes out with “Stop, Babe”, a ballad-esque continuation of Kaulitz’s new and evolving feelings towards another. While the frontman desperately hopes to dive in and let go, the desire does not come without a few reservations. “Way too many feels, don't waste 'em on me, you are way too young, to settle for real, you know I like you a lot,” he sings with the understanding of his lovers possible relationship needs and wants.

Dream Machine is the album the band apparently has always wanted to record and release. The desire to step out of their rock roots, to expand their artistic boundaries, is greatly appreciated and sounds like a natural, honest progression. While not perfect, a couple of songs do waste the opportunity to be bigger, bolder and more memorable, the group, pushed by Kaulitz’s delicate yet somehow commanding vocal performances, shed some light on men who are hurting. In touch with their emotions, each has gone through life-changing experiences, whether it is dealing with romance, coming of age, or career choices. Overall, the electronica-influenced project is an enticing look at fresh possibilities Tokio Hotel can continue pursuing.

Tracks to Hear: "Something New", "Easy", "What If", "Elysa" and "Stop, Babe"
Old 03-08-17, 19:51
♥ Team Bill

review
http://www.laparisiennelife.com/2017...kio-hotel.html

Quote:
google

WE HAVE PLAYED THE NEW TOKIO HOTEL ALBUM!

We listened to the new album of Tokio Hotel!
Two and a half years after the release of "Kings Of Suburbia", the Germans of Tokio Hotel are back with a fifth opus dubbed "Dream Machine".

In 12 years of career, we can only welcome the journey traveled by the quartet but also their evolution.

Tokio Hotel knew not to shut itself in a style and grow at the same time as their numerous fans.

"Kings Of Suburbia" presented a beautiful artistic moult and "Dream Machine" is a good extension.

The band at Bill looks towards the 80s and most certainly to bands such as Depeche Mode or New Order for their new album which was preceded by the titles "Something New" and "What If".

"Boys Do not Cry" which is not a cover of The Cure is undoubtedly one of the album's "Easy", "Dream Machine", "Better" and "As Young As We Are" Also potential singles.

The vintage 2017 is very good and the ten pieces constituting it are the result of a work done and judiciously matured.

"Dream Machine" is a very good surprise!

Tokio Hotel will be in concert on March 21 in Paris at L'Olympia.
Old 03-08-17, 20:08
♥ Team Bill

via
https://www.instagram.com/p/BRREMaMD...er_playersdesk

english by tokiohotalien
https://twitter.com/TokioHotalien/st...58255315726336
Old 03-09-17, 12:31
thkoalafan

Fan since: September 4, 2010
Mood: Waiting for the Dream Machine!
Music: Whatever gets interested in me (: - Ms. Hussy
Preordering the physical copy means you won't get it until the 14th or 15th. FYI to you all. I'm ordering my copy from Target tonight.
Old 03-09-17, 14:50
♥ Team Bill

lmao thats so annoying. I've tried my best to avoid DM box spoilers hahaha because mine won't come until the 20. WHY ARE YOU LIKE THIS
Old 03-11-17, 17:37
thkoalafan

Fan since: September 4, 2010
Mood: Waiting for the Dream Machine!
Music: Whatever gets interested in me (: - Ms. Hussy
I ended up ordering from FYE because Target and Barnes and Noble don't have DM in stock anymore. I'm getting the CD in 1-3 weeks.
Old 03-13-17, 18:48
Ich Liebe Bill

Fan since: Sept 4, 2008
Mood: better
Music: Tokio Hotel
Quote: marzopices3911 said View Post
I ended up ordering from FYE because Target and Barnes and Noble don't have DM in stock anymore. I'm getting the CD in 1-3 weeks.
You have an FYE? lucky
Ours closed down...along with books a millian.....WTF? lol